Renaissance garden by Meersburg Castle
Even the first prince-bishops’ residence, old Meersburg Castle, had included a garden, first mentioned in records in 1593. At the time, Cardinal Andreas of Austria had a Renaissance garden established along the outer bailey east of the castle. Little is known about what this garden looked like. There is only a single illustration: In a 1623 portrait of Prince-Bishop Jakob Fugger, a pergola-like arcade can be seen on a terrace east of Meersburg Castle.