FROM ROYAL HOUSE TO A SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF-MUTE
When Baden became a republic in November 1918, Meersburg had not been home to residing sovereigns for more than 100 years. The Meersburg New Palace only served as the seat for the Prince-Bishops of Constance for roughly 50 years; in 1803, the territory passed to the state of Baden as part of secularization. Baden's school for the deaf-mute had been housed in the Baroque palace since 1865. Therefore, the New Palace, remained entirely untouched by the November Revolution of 1918. But the founding of the new state did bring some changes. In 1919, the former prince-bishops’ vineyard was renamed “Staatsweingut Meersburg”, the Meersburg State Vineyard. This exemplary vineyard establishment has contributed to the advancement of viticulture since the 16th century, with effects reaching across all of Germany.