A prominent architect
Damian Hugo von Schönborn, the Prince-Bishop of Constance between 1740 and 1743, planned an expansion to the New Building, including a representational staircase. Famous Baroque architect, Balthasar Neumann (1687–1753), designed the modifications, including the palace church and staircase, from Bruchsal in 1740. He was employed there as von Schönborn's architect, who was simultaneously the Prince-Bishop of Speyer. Johann Georg Stahl, likewise located in Bruchsal, implemented the construction.